Re: How Can I Switch Synthesizers on the Fly?

My explanation of how to fix it was slightly incorrect actually. I told you to run sudo under sudo, basically, which is not necessary. I've provided what should be a full working script below. Try this script. It won't matter that you're running this under tcsh, as long as you have a working bash on your system. I've set it up to automatically execute bash.

-- begin script --
#!/bin/bash
# Force a couple of environment variables to sane values for security reasons
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin
IFS=" \t\n"
# Change the synth
echo "soft" > /sys/accessibility/speakup/synth
-- end script --

You could also add lines to the script to run whatever support programs you need to make the synthesizer work once you've switched it in Speakup. Don't add "sudo" to any lines in this script since it's already running as root. You'll run the script itself using sudo. For example, if you were to name the script enablesoft, and it were in your path, you'd type this.

sudo enablesoft

Assuming the rest of the parts are working, that should do it for you.

--
Joe