Re: How Can I Switch Synthesizers on the Fly?

On Sun, Apr 03, 2022 at 12:36:25PM -0700, Chime Hart wrote:
> last year I purchased some hi quality voices from Oralux, which are software
> speech. When I have Allison installed, I can send her text through spd-say.
> Making matters more complex, speech-dispatcher will not seem to install on
> this Debian Sid machine.

This is contradictory. Having spd-say working implies a working and
installed speech-dispatcher. So, I will assume you have
speech-dispatcher installed and spd-say installed and working on one
machine, but not another. In that case saying speech-dispatcher won't
install doesn't help us help you.

> Guidance I've received from 2 sources, says I must
> install and have espeak talking before I can switch to Allison, which is an
> embedded voice.

If these voices interface through speech-dispatcher, then that would
make sense. However, the only way I know of to interface speakup to
speech-dispatcher right now is through speechd-up. So, it seems like
you would have to install speechd-up, get that working with
speech-dispatcher and espeak-ng, and once you have that working get
speech-dispatcher to use your purchased voices.

> When I was running Slint on a laptop, Didier had created a
> talk-with command to easily switch synths, but his script would need to be
> re written for Debian.

I can confirm the talkwith provided in the speakup-tools package for
debian bullseye seems to be broken. Issuing talkwith soft comes back
with:

/usr/sbin/talkwith: 88: shift: can't shift that many

I took a look at the script, but don't see where the problem is.

> In addition, if I unload the DecTalk module, I won't
> have speech, or would their be a way of having both DecTalk and software
> speech at the same time?

No, you can't have both your dectalk and software speech at the same time.

> So, can some1 please provide exact commands I can
> switch synths on the fly? I ran a locate for softsynth  but nothing found.

No surprise. What you want is the speakup_soft module. You would as
root load that with:

modprobe speakup_soft

then start espeakup or speechd-up, depending on which one you use. I
think that would be something like:

systemctl speechd-up start
or
systemctl espeakup start

I'm not a systemd user, so someone else can correct the above if
they're not correct.

Now, assuming you have both speakup_soft and speakup_dectlk kernel
modules loaded, you can switch between them as root with:

echo dectlk >/sys/accessibility/speakup/synth

for the dectalk, and

echo soft >/sys/accessibility/speakup/synth

for software speech. Remember that before switching to dectlk you
should stop espeakup or speechd-up, and after switching to soft you
should start espeakup or speechd-up. I seem to recall you use csh, so
maybe someone can roll all that into a csh script for you.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1