Raspberry Pi Upgrade from Stretch to Buster killed speakup.

I have two Raspberry Pi's that I upgraded from Debian 9 (stretch)
to 10 which is Buster.  Both seem to have survived the upgrade
except for speakup which is now mute.
	I can get in to them via ssh but sometimes need to plug
headphones in to one or the other if I want to use it locally on
some project such as looking at our WiFi network with tshark or
anything else in which one needs a local console.

	When I was running stretch on these systems, speakup
worked pretty well except for a few idiosyncrasies but now there
is no speech at all on the one I am testing and I can assume that
the other Pi is probably having the same issue so whatever I do
to one will also need to be done to the other.

	It's been 2 or 3 years since I installed speakup on a
Raspberry Pi and I seem to remember a certain download of speakup
that works especially well but I don't remember exactly how I got
it which is why I am asking the list.

	Thanks for all constructive ideas.

	It's hard to believe that the whole Raspberry Pi computer
cost less than the Echo GP synthesizer which is the last hardware
speech box I used until about 2009 or so.

	When I was running stretch on these Pi's, I got pretty
much the same performance one gets from a full-sized desktop
system so I want to not lose that capability now.  Thanks.

Martin