espeakup not speaking screen review from speakup in Debian sid 20211215 while screen refreshing to quickly

Hi all,

I've been noticing a problem with speakup/espeakup/espeak-ng, across kernels 5.10 5.14 and now 5.15. When I write a lot of output to a screen, say dmesg without a pager, screen review stops working for a few seconds. I know speakup is still responding because the tones are played when navigating by word when moving to a new line. The speech is interrupted appropriately but it will not speak again for a few seconds.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have an idea of where to look to help sort this out.

I very much liked the former functionality of being able to press a key to momentarily flush the buffer and pick up reading the screen immediately.

Thanks all,
--FC