Re: fwd: [DNG] Announcing Devuan 4.0: Chimaera!

Hi,

Le 15/10/2021 à 21:48, Gregory Nowak a écrit :
My understanding is that having pulseaudio installed and using dmix
causes sound output to crash, and requires a system reboot.

Not here. My assumption would be that in Debian/Devuan some Alsa settings done
in configuration files redirect the stream to Pulse if present, somehow
creating a loop if dmix is used by PulseAudio.

I have found some of these settings a while ago but didn't have the time to
investigate long enough to get to a conclusion (hint: I am not a Debian/Devuan
user).

As far as I know there are at least two methods that can be used to make sound streams sent to PA and others sent directly to Alsa coexist nicely, both listed
in the Arch Wiki:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseAudio#ALSA/dmix_without_grabbing_hardware_device
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseAudio/Examples#PulseAudio_as_a_minimal_unintrusive_dumb_pipe_to_ALSA

I use the former in Slint.

pulseaudio rather than working around it was easier to do. I've
also corresponded with a few people from this list who indicated
the first thing they do after installing debian/devuan is to purge
pulseaudio, and if someone wants pulseaudio back in devuan along with
a graphical desktop, this is easily done during and after system
install.

Greg

Best regards,
Didier