Re: fwd: [DNG] Announcing Devuan 4.0: Chimaera!

On Fri, Oct 15, 2021 at 09:32:37PM +0200, Didier Spaier wrote:
> I thing puzzles me though. I read:
>
> > Devuan Chimaera has the ability to
> > install desktop environments without PulseAudio, allowing speech
> > synthesis in both console and GUI sessions at the same time.
>
> I Slint speech synthesis is available in both console and GUI sessions at
> the
> same time with PulseAudio installed. Is that not possible in Devuan?

My understanding is that having pulseaudio installed and using dmix
causes sound output to crash, and requires a system reboot. Purging
pulseaudio rather than working around it was easier to do. I've
also corresponded with a few people from this list who indicated
the first thing they do after installing debian/devuan is to purge
pulseaudio, and if someone wants pulseaudio back in devuan along with
a graphical desktop, this is easily done during and after system
install.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net