Philosophical questions (was: Broken espeakup)

I get this thing about speakup belonging in user space practically every time I discuss it outside this list. Even with other blind people. I'm like, okay, if you can tell me how I can get speech during poot, I'm willing to listen. Or are you telling me that as a system admin, I don't need access to boot messages? Lets disable everybody's video during boot and see how they like it.

I think the question of whether it's better to work on a custom distro for the blind or on fixing mainstream distros is a tough call. The problem is clearly that a lot of custom distros for the blind have disappeared once the original developer lost interest. But while they last, they are probably doing some good. I do think though that on the balance, it is better to work on fixing mainstream distros. You can have a greater, longer lasting impact that way.