Re: Archlinux Speakup problems after alsa package upgrade

Kelly Prescott <kprescott@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
> ALSA lib pcm.c:2660:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM
> cards.pcm.center_lfe
*SNIP*

Some of these messages have been there for years, and I expect them.

> ALSA lib pulse.c:242:(pulse_connect) PulseAudio: Unable to connect:
> Connection refused

If you aren't using pulseaudio, and evidently you aren't, I'd remove
the pulseaudio-alsa package.

> ALSA lib confmisc.c:160:(snd_config_get_card) Invalid field card
> ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:482:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid card
> 'card'

That is unexpected and it might be the smoking gun.

I'd be interested to know how that batch of messages compares with
messages from the previous version.  Which are missing?

I'd try compiling one of the portaudio test programs.  My guess is that
it will run under the alsa 1.2.4 libraries, but not under the alsa 1.2.5
libraries.  If that is indeed the case, you should file a bug with Arch,
telling them their most recent ALSA update broke portaudio.

I myself would have a difficult time helping you to debug.
I'm not on Arch, and all of my systems are using pulseaudio and espeak-ng
rather than alsa and espeak nowadays.