getting orca and espeakup/speakup to work together

What is the trick to getting speakup with software speech and orca to work at the same time. I have both debian stretch and ubuntu bionic systems and on both machines, I have to disable espeakup to get orca to work. If I disable espeakup via the command, "systemctl disable espeakup" and reboot, orca works as normal. If I re-enable espeakup via, "systemctl enable espeakup", then I get no speech on the login screen or after I log in. After I log in, even playing sounds via aplay does not work.

I have a vague memory of having to recompile espeakup or something to get that to work.

John G. Heim; jheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; sip://jheim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx