Re: Best text-based speakup linux install

Depending on the computer's type of connections maybe an external hard drive with external drive holder could increase that disk space and ide hard drives really aren't that expensive any longer. An internal drive could run the system and the /home and certain other partitions could live on the external drive. Someone knowledgeable with Linux hardware operations would be needed to set that up though.

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017, Gregory Nowak wrote:

Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 23:49:47
From: Gregory Nowak <greg@xxxxxxxxx>
To: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Best text-based speakup linux install

By 512-Mb, I assume the gentleman means amount of RAM. If that's
correct, then I can tell you an install of the devuan 1.0 beta without
a GUI runs just fine in a virtualbox guest with 512 megs of
ram. Therefore, debian 8 would run fine as well. A system with 512
megs of RAM probably has something like a pentium II/III
CPU. Gnome/orca could probably run on that, but it would be a slow
experience most likely.

Now, if 512-mb means hard drive ... ... a minimal install of the
latest devuan and debian takes about 400 megs of space. So it could be
done, but ...

Greg