Re: Anybody still use YASR

espeak can also pull in portaudio without some Makefile editing to have espeak use speech-dispatcher. On Wed, 24 Aug 2016, Chris Brannon wrote:

Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 08:58:14
From: Chris Brannon <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: speakup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Anybody still use YASR

KatolaZ <katolaz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Thanks Jude,

the problem is that emacspeak pulls in ways too much for a minimal
live distro, except we stick to emacs-nox, which might be easy to
include and just enough for the task. Would it make sense to try to
include emacs-nox, emacspeak, and eflite in Devuan minimal live then?
If yes, I will put it in the todo list :)

You know what?  The Emacspeak espeak server also works with yasr, and it
can be built independently of the rest of Emacspeak.  The only
dependencies it pulls are tcl, tclx, and espeak.  I think this is like 5
or 6 megs, not including espeak.
You're already pulling in espeak,, so tcl and tclx aren't such a big
deal, I think.
Problem is, the espeak server isn't packaged separately in Debian, even
though it can be built separately.
Anyway, Emacspeak itself is just fine with emacs-nox.

-- Chris