Re: problem LOADING LITETALK DRIVER

Okay, so now it depends on which kernel version you are using. I've seen messages on this list that seem to indicate that the linux kernel has been patched so you can use a litetalk. I could not get my litetalk to work even with an ubuntu 4.2 kernel. I haven't tried it yet with the ubuntu 4.4 kernels. But it looks like you are running debian stable which has a 3.16 kernel. If so, you are going to have to install a patched kernel.

I was just about to make a patched kernel for debian jessie available on the web site of the International Association of Visually Impaired Technologiests, www.iavit.org. I've been on vacation for 2 weeks and I uploaded it right before I left. I can probably finish it up today or tomorrow if you want to give it a try. I can tell you how to download a file for apt that will recognize the iavit.org archive and then you can use apt-get to install my patched kernel.

Another thing you could do is to try the script I wrote to compile a kernel from the debian kernel source package. It automatically downloads the debian kernel source, installs a patch I wrote to work around the bug. and compiles the kernel. I wrote the script to make it easier for me to maintain a patched kernel for people to download. Theoretically, you run this script, come back a couple of hours later, depending on how fast your machine is, and you have a patched kernel package ready to install.

Finally, I can give you instructions for patching the kernel so you don't have to rely on me or anyone else to fix the problem. It's up to you. To fix the kernel code so it works, you edit the file drivers/staging/speakup/serialio.c. Somewhere around line 46, find and remove the line that says "return null". Then recompile the kernel by whatever means you want. I use the debian makefile myself but that won't work if you get the code directly from linux-kernel.org. Those of us on this list can give you more detailed instructions if you decide you want tto learn how to fix the kernel yourself.