Re: Getting speakup to run on debian

Yes, I absolutely did have *EVERYTHING* muted and didn't know it until
I learned (a little) how to use amixer. I'm still a little confused
about one thing: amixer thinks the main sound card's output is a
headphone jack, so when I set the volume for 'Front' to 100%, I got no
results, but when I set pvolume to 100% for Headphone, on it came. Now
that I think about it a little, I've seen something similar to this in
Windows. These Realtek sound chips have an annoying property where
they show two devices with the same name, something like "Realtek
High-Definition Speakers". One is the jack on the back of the machine,
one is the internal speaker of that machine. However, when you set the
default device to one of those two high-definition devices and plug a
headphone into the headphone jack, with the internal speaker setting,
it doesn't switch over, but with the other one, it does, and the
default device now changes to "Realtek High-Definition Headphones". so
I think what's going on in the Linux interpretation of all of this is
that Linux calls the main output jack "Headphone" because it can be
switched to a front-panel connection simply by plugging something into
it. I have tried the other jacks on the back panel, of which there are
four others (not including the SPDIF/optical connector, which looks
and feels nothing like an eighth-inch audio jack), and gotten no
response, so I'm 99% sure I'm plugged in to the right thing and have
the right control volume set in amixer.