Re: Getting speakup to run on debian

I just installed a fresh Jessie yesterday. The install was assisted by
Speakup, which I started at the install screen main menu by pressing
s<ENTER>. I was quite impressed with the way it all worked, with one
silly exception: There was a screen with 78 choices, one per line, and
I couldn't figure out how to scroll the screen backward to read the
first and second screens of choices, so I just went with the default
choice, which turned out to be the correct one for me for the question
being asked. Very impressive. No Orca, no forms, just straight CLI. I
love CLI.

Now then, the system is up and running, there's no desktop, I boot
directly to the login prompt, and now I want to get Speakup working on
the console terminals. Someone named Samuel from Debian accessibility
told me I should install the espeakup package, but apt-get can't find
it. What'd I do wrong? And why would I even need to be doing this
since obviously Speakup is included in the install, you'd think, or at
least I did, that it would already exist on the system and be able to
be run.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance and advice.