Re: software speech

On 12/5/2015 10:46 AM, Karen Lewellen wrote:
but why?
There are many hardware synthesizers with far better voice quality.  Even
models that were available in USB.
why on earth should anyone be expected to have poor quality speech when the
tools  exist otherwise?
Not that I am a windows user,  or a Linux one either of course smiles.
Kare

Hi, I couldn't agree with you more. It makes good sense to me. I like my DECtalk Express and that's part of why I haven't switched to NVDA. I think you should ask the developers. It wouldn't be hard to implement serial synth support. Maybe the Speakup drivers could be adapted, but NVDA is written in Python so probably not. As mentioned, I looked at the Braille driver and it didn't look too difficult. The only thing I can think of is each hardware synth is different and manuals are hard to come by, not to mention that most people don't use them anymore. Lots of machines don't come with serial ports. I don't know about USB synths. Unlike with software synths, every hardware synth has its own sets of commands, voices, pitch, rate and volume settings, etc. With SAPI, it's a standard, so no matter what voice you're using, the programming is the same. Finally, in the old days, computers weren't powerful enough to run software speech effectively, but that's no longer the case. Now, for most people, it makes more sense to not carry around an external synth or take up a PCI slot when a good sound card and speakers do the same thing. Now, software speech is very responsive in most cases.