Re: Why I can't recommend Arch or Gentoo

No, you're wrong. Debian, Ubuntu, etc don't have this problem. The problem seems to be entirely in the brltty package as shipped with Talking Arch. I'm guessing, but based on the brltty.conf shipped with Debian, the default is to probe the serial port for a Braille display. Whatever it sends to the serial port causes the DECtalk Express to emit random characters and completely stop speaking until it is turned off and on. The sound card problem is an unrelated issue, also related to Arch, but probably upstream, not Talking Arch specifically.