Re: Talking Arch Linux Installer

Gentoo's standard install CD talks. You just have to pass it the right boot parameters. Specifically, what you want is speakup.synth=soft for software speach. So you'd enter something like this:

gentoo speakup.synth=soft

You can, of course, add other boot parameters like dossh to activate ssh. You can also substitute gentoo with gentoo-nofb if you don't want the framebuffer console.

As for Slackware, I don't know how it works now. They used to have a speakup kernel you had to use during the install. I created a custom installation disc that had speakup in all kernels. That was years ago though, and I have sense stopped distributing it. I don't know what modern slackware does, but it should be easy enough to find out.
Joe