Re: finished with slackware

Slackware is, as far as I know, the only distro which has, seemingly ALL
the speakup synth 'modules' compiled into the kernel, e.g. not as
external modules.

I think the above is historical, but is also coincidentally an advantage
to us, as for those of us with hardware synths, it makes it possible to
boot and install, assuming it is working right.

Speakup re-written in 6 months?  Why is there a need to re-write it?
The only reason I can think of is the now almost universal lack of
serial ports on computers and the current inability of speakup to use
USB for hardware synths.  I don't know if it is even possible to use USB
with a kernel module.  And I don't know whether USB or USB hardware
synths use or support hardware hand-shaking.

There has been talk of the tty being removed from the kernel, at which
time speakup will, presumably, become unusable at all.

The see-saw nature of accessibility in modern Linux is a downside to
diversity.  There is a lot to choose from, which means there are also a
lot of failure points.  There are a lot of developers who, being able to
see perfectly well, give little thought to accessibility.  Projects
change hands, developers move on, and a project which had good
accessibility can suddenly stop working for us simply because of a
developer change.

Orca certainly needs more financial support.  If God forbid, anything
happened to take Joanie away from Orca development, we would be in
crisis.  But that is not an uncommon situation in OSS.

I think installers are getting better.  So much so that VI-specific
distros like Vinux and Sonar are now almost irrelevant.  IMHO their only
advantage is ootb package tweaking.  A lot of inaccessible packages are
not included by default like they are in mainstream distros, where we
have to fiddle about cherry-picking what we can and cannot use.

Back to speakup specifically for a moment...IMHO what is really needed
is for the source to be brought up to kernel standards to get it out of
staging, and for the web site to be refreshed.  The web site looks and
feels stale and untouched.  Leading some sighted folks to believe
speakup is dead and irrelevant, which it is definitely not.

Mike

On 07/02/2015 15:55, John G. Heim wrote:
> I wouldn't go quite that far. I will agree though that the accessibility
> tools in linux have gotten worse in the last 5 years, not better. This
> is a disturbing trend. I think things began to fall apart when Oracle
> bought Sun and got rid of the orca development team.
>
> What we should really do is to put together a group to collect grants to
> pay for orca development.  We could include speakup development but I
> think a single dedicated developer could probably rewrite speakup from
> scratch in about 6 months. It's a small project compared to the
> continuing development that orca represents.
>
> I'll talk to IAVIT's lawyer about it.
>

> On 02/07/2015 08:43 AM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
>> You know, I use Ubuntu, and I have become disenchanted with Linux.  With
>> every new release, we have to rebuild accessibility.
>> Sure it is free, and it is safer and more powerful than Windows, but
>> Windows
>> is still more accessible than Linux.
>> I had big hopes for Linux, and I have reached a point now where it is
>> just a
>> tool in the toolbox, mainly for drive manipulation.
>>
>> Glenn

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

Don't judge my disability until you witness my ability

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/