speakupconf load and save not working

Hi,
I think maybe permissions got changed in one of the later kernels or something. Speakupconf load and save no longer work as expected. when doing speakup conf load, lines 79 and 93 (I think) say too man arguments. In the .speakup directory there are no files like there used to be.
I tried a chmod -R 666 /sys/accessibility/speakup
but that didn't help. Is there an easy fix for this?
thanks
Storm