Re: Speakup and vim and Lots of Chatter

On Wed, 12 Nov 2014, Martin G. McCormick wrote:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Nov  1  2012 /usr/bin/vi -> /etc/alternatives/vi

Debian has a strange mechanism when more than one binary can potentially provide the same command. The link in /usr/bin points to /etc/alternatives, which itself is a link to the real program. So, to find out what you are really running, look at /etc/alternatives/vi to see what it points to. On my Debian 7 system, it points to /usr/bin/vim.basic. There is a utility called update-alternatives which can manage these links.

As for the extra chatter in vim, try this experiment. Try setting your "LANG" environment variable to "C." That is, "export LANG=C" then start vim and see if it behaves differently. I recall discussions on this list in the past indicating that Speakup and utf8 don't get along, and vim acting oddly was one of the symptoms.