Re: Speakup and vim and Lots of Chatter

Samuel Thibault writes:
> Maybe try to use
>
> :set noruler
	Thanks very much. I just learned something which is
usually the case in a unix knowledge search. All this time, I
thought I was using vim, called as vi. Some unix systems do just
that with a link in /usr/bin/vi that points to vim somewhere
else.
	On this Debian wheezy system, /usr/bin/vi is a link but
it looks like
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Nov  1  2012 /usr/bin/vi -> /etc/alternatives/vi
which means I actually am using a version of vi, not vim.
	Vim is on the system as vim.tiny so I tried it and got
the same behavior as with vi. It only happens while editing a
file in vi or vim
	I've been interested in this little mystery for some
time as some systems have the problem and others don't.
	I can insert text in to a file on a Debian squeeze
system and never hear anything strange save for the occasional
glitch if one has wrapmargin set and it's time to go to the next
line. Once we are on that next line, you just hear the numbers
and letters as you type them.
	If one inserts text in to the middle of a line, all
forms of vi that I have used do say the character you just type
plus every character to the right of the cursor that had to move
over to make room. The oddness I describe occurs when the line
is new and there should be nothing after the cursor.
	I hope this is not too confusing.

Martin McCormick