Speakup and vim and Lots of Chatter

	I have noticed that when typing in vim which is being
run as vi, I get all sorts of extraneous chatter as I type. It
is annoying to say the least. I am sure what is happening is vim
is echoing not only the key that was typed which is a good thing
but it is also sending VT100 escape sequences or perhaps it is
replacing what was on the screen with the newly-struck character.
	If I am on an older Linux system in vi, all I hear are
normal letters and numbers while typing so it isn't always a
problem.
	Is there anything I can do in any of the terminal
utilities to fix this minor but annoying issue?

Thank you.
Martin McCormick
	P.S. This is not a show stopper but if I had the choice
of no garbage or garbage, I, of course, would rather toss the
garbage.