speakup and slackware 14.1

Has anyone managed to get this version of slackware talking when doing a
clean install?  I just failed several times to get the
slackware64-install-dvd.iso image talking and according to the asc file
and the md5 sums file that came with it, I have install media that throws
no errors when tested.  I used: speakup.s speakup.synth=ltlk speakup.ser=0
as boot parameters or tried to.  This version of slackware is really
strange in that it doesn't stop spinning until a little after a minute
when it starts up.  I let it go that long at first and that didn't work.
So I next tried holding the tab key down and that stopped slackware
spinning about a minute and that failed too.  Same thing happened holding
the control key down too.  I have the 32-bit version and am about to try
that next on the amd64 k8 machine just for laughs.  For sure testing was
ineffective back at slackware for this version so far as I can tell.

jude <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Twitter: @jdashiel