slackware with software speech

short answer, no.  Fortunately litetalk speech synthesizers last time I
checked their price had dropped to $190.00.  This is the external litetalk
that uses a 9 pin serial port to talk.
Long answer, slackware has decided blind people don't need a talking
install for software speech on slackware.  Theoretically it is possible to
first run a hardware install then add necessary packages for software
speech from slackbuilds.org then reconfigure lilo or grub then reboot
slackware into a software speech configuration.  Of course you'll have to
replace the slackware kernel with a stock kernel without slackware
modifications and know how to build packages coming off of slackbuilds.org
first too.
There is one website with instructions on installing emacspeak on
slackware and having slackware come up running emacspeak but I never
managed to get that talking either.

jude <jdashiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>