Bare Minimum Memory

	What is the bare minimum of RAM that will boot Wheezy
with speakup? I have a pair of Dell Optiplexes whose mother
boards contain 3 slots each and can address up to 768 megs but
presently hold 128-megabyte SIMS.
	They are currently talking just fine but the OS in
present use is Vinux2.0 from 2009.
	I did build a system at work from Wheezy that holds 514
megs and does run present Debian wheezy with speakup and no
gnome. It really works quite well so I would like to get these
two optiplexes to be able to upgrade to today's world.

	I did copy the system at work to a boot drive and tried
to boot one of the Dells but it just sits there and I suspect
that there isn't enough memory to handle the boot process.
	Are there still places around where one might buy
256-meg sims? Since both systems presently work properly, the
memory issue is probably the only thing holding things back.
	I use one of these old boxes as a talking terminal to
reach other unix systems and the other contains two sound cards
that record audio from radio receivers. I am thinking that these
sound cards and the operating system would play more nicely
together under wheezy. I discovered that I can not adjust record
volume on one of the cards no matter what I tell amixer. A more
modern OS probably contains a better driver for that card plus
udev most likely works better.
	After you finish laughing, I do have two newer systems
that do have 1 G of RAM, each, but they do more general work.
One runs gnome fairly well and the other is used for PIC
microcontroller development projects and general audio
tinkering.