speakup & orca in debian 7

What I did on Arch on the Pi was just install the normal espeak package
and then compile and install my compiled version which just overwrites
what's there already.  So espeakup doesn't get upset.

I've been trying to get SpeakUp and some other kinds of accessibility
tools to run on the Pi for the whole of this year.

We did have SpeakUp and Emacspeak running on Arch but we had to
blacklist the kernel, the firmware and alsa-utils because sound-driver
and firmware changes broke espeak and introduced some nasty stuttering
which I've now discovered is latency.

Recompiling espeak for pulse stops those stutters but I'm now currently
struggling to get pulse correctly configured and to get consist audio
from both command-line espeak and Emacspeak.

It's right to say these bloody sound systems are a hell of a fiddle to
get working correctly but pulse seems particularly difficult.  The usual
problem of the documentation not keeping up with the software is true
with pulse as well as the documentation not being especially exhaustive
to begin with.

Luckily the Arch wiki is pretty good.

I guess sound is one area where you're plate-spinning in a way because
it has to work with every installed package that demands sound.

I WILL get to the point where I have SpeakUp and Emacspeak running on
the newest Arch kernel on the Pi.  And then I will go back to Raspbian
and try that.  I switched to Arch because Raspbian just crashed all the
time.

Mike

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer

I KEEP six honest serving-men, They taught me all I know. Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.
-- Rudyard Kipling (paraphrased)

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/

 From where you can join our mailing list for visually-impaired Pi hackers