Accessible image backup and restore program?

On Sun, 26 May 2013, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> I can tell you from personal experience that ntfsclone works nicely if
> you're trying to recover data from a damaged drive. On the other hand,
> partimage bombs as soon as it encounters the first i/o error while
> reading the partition in question.

Have you tried Gnu Ddrescue?  I have a 1TB USB drive that is dying, and
I am trying Ddrescue on it, copying the data to a brand new drive of the
same size.  We'll see how it goes, but I'm curious if you have had any
experience using this tool on failing drives.