console chess

I've not been current with email, but here's another answer and this
program has been around for awhile.  It's called gnuchess and is available
on debian as a package and is also available in the fedora archives as
well.  I had gnuchess working under dos before I ever installed Linux for
the first time and found the same interface in the Linux version when I
installed that package some years ago.