X access was Re: Debian upgrade

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:26:55PM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Err, that's precisely because you want all kinds of effects and such
> that keeping the text in the protocol was being more and more a problem.
> You don't have the freedom to do whatever you want to your text
> rendering when you're bound to a protocol.

	Tough.  If it's my computer, I should be able to have it look
and work the way I want it to.  Gnome has some of the ugliest software
in the world.  All programmers would have to do is label the type of
text being delivered.  Menu, display, combo box, etc, and the display
manager could handle the rest.  Themes would have lots more options, and
software would appear in similar fashion if menus were all done in one
font and color combination, lists in another.  Otherwise you have
something like Windows with one or two Visual Basic programs running on
it and looking like you're running a disorganized collection of junk,
with gigantic green check and red X buttons here, and more
"Windows-like" buttons there.

	Whatever.  Without standards, all you have is chaos, and force
the non-sighted to come along after everyone else and try to clean up
the kludge that is another programmer's "Wonderful Idea."  We wouldn't
even be talking if it weren't for the ASCII and email standards, and
until we have a standard for everyone to follow, we'll continue to be
relegated to society's background.  At least with Linux, we can create a
standard to follow.  If we count on Mickeysoft, it will never get done
to our satisfaction, and we'll continue to remain in the "aftermarket"
minority.

				Michael