Hello and a beginner question about setting language.

Anne Gunther <guenni.post at gmx.de> wrote:
> But after typing: talkwith espeakup --default-voice=de
> I got an error message:
> /usr/sbin/talkwith: 104: Syntax Error: Bad fd number
> What's the problem? And how do I get the guy to speak German? :)

Apparently, your default shell is dash, rather than bash.
Two statements of talkwith weren't completely portable.  I.E., they used
syntax specific to bash.
This was fixed a while ago in the git repository, but that won't help you.
There's a workaround.  Call talkwith like so:
bash talkwith espeakup --default-voice=de

HTH,
-- Chris