Disabling Speakup's use of keypad?

Hi All,
I wonder if it's possible to disable speakup's use of the numeric
keypad?  I have a laptop and use the alternate keyset anyway.  More to
the point, I sometimes use a terminal emulator which functions best with
the numeric keypad free.
Maybe this might be controlled by a file in the /sys directory?
Thanks much,
Zack.
--
To destroy a child's belief in the essential goodness of the world is a crime.