Character pronounciation

Hi All,
This is just my two cents on the issue.
I tend to agree that either Speakup or the synthesizer should be responsible
for pronounciation.  If the synthesizer has pretty good default support
I say that the "direct" option in speakup is a good thing.
That being said, I'm curious what character set the default Speakup
arrangement is pulled from?  (It doesn't seem to be Latin 1.)
Best,
Zack.