speakup using different synths with software speech?

Not quite, What I am saying is that you can get a human sounding voice
using espeak by adding mbrola to the mix.
If you like, you can email me and I can make you an example of what it
sounds like.
I do not think Jonathan plan to change his synthesis method, but he has
made some changes which made the sound a little less harsh and a bit more
base.
Regards, Willem