Questions about DOS (sorry if off-topic)

The only everlock disks I messed with were way back in my apple 2 e days.
These actually had a small hole in a sector of the disk.  When you ran the
install program on the disk it told yoour program to do a write and then a
read on that particular sector.  If it was a copy, the write worked of
corse, (fixing the error), and then the read also worked.  If it was
theoriginal disk, the write didn't work and neither did the read.  Reminds
me of locksmith, copy 2 plus and so forth, but I'm dating myself.  <smile>
73
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr
open Node 3148