Advice for speech-friendly migration

Hi,
I have a laptop here which is currently running ArchLinux in a dual boot
with Windows XP.  I believe some of its hardware is failing: I see many
messages like this from the kernel:
Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 194526867
This is on my Windows XP partition whenever I mount it.  Fortunately, I
don't notice anything disturbing the Linux side yet.
I have a newer laptop here which I was thinking
of migrating to.  It came with Windows Vista on it, but I don't think I
want to keep that around.  I can set up a virtual machine if I need it.
I was wondering if anybody has some tips for getting my system
bootstrapped?  I was thinking I could back up my home directory on CD or
USB, and possibly /etc as well.  The only installation media I have
available is an old speakup-enabled Arch CD from March or so.
Unfortunately, some hardware in the new machine is different, noteably
the wireless card.  As I recall, it isn't supported by the kernel by
default.  Getting a direct ethernet connection is a bit tricky around
here.
I realize this might be easier than it looks to me, but it's the
first such migration I've had to attempt. I'd be greatful for any
advice.
Thanks much,
Zack.