speakup problems using vim 7.2

I recently got a new machine and installed Debian Squeeze and the vim editor
along with latest speakup and 2.6.29.1 kernel. When I use vim in insert mode
speakup echoes 2 or 3 characters before the cursor. This even happens over
ssh connection so I suppose it really isn't a speakup problem. Anyone have a
clue how to configure vim so it doesn't do this?