installing ubuntu with what may be missing pieces

First, thanks to all for giving me the info to get through a couple of successful tries, putting different variations of ubuntu on the new machine I built. The last one was done using the live CD.  By using the references in other notes on this list, I got it to come up speaking.

Second, Here are some questions.  What will it take to get to a shell? What must I do to get speech from the shell, not just from the GUI?

Since I have installed this on a clean system, I would be willing to start over if that would be a better way to do things.  I have no reason to be tied to any particular distro if another one would be easier to get working fully.

Thanks!

Bruce Noblick

See my web page for contact info and a lot more.
Here is the address.
HTTP://HOME.COLUMBUS.RR.COM/bnoblick
If the above line does not act like a link, try cutting and pasting it to your browser.