VmWare Tools and Speakup

Hi,
    Now that I'm using VmWare for my virtualization needs, I was wondering
how I'd go about enabling things like time synchronization with the host
system.  I can't use the regular VmWareToolBox X application, precisely
because it's an X application and hence inaccessible.  Any advice about
manually editing something or an alternative would be appreciated.
    I remember seeing something earlier on here about VmWare storing
information in text files, but can't seem to find that in the archives at
the moment.
Thanks much,
Zack.