Best distro

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 07:19:11PM -0600, Tyler Littlefield wrote:
> someone has some research to do:
> http://people.debian.org/~shane

	Yeah, I have Shane's netinst CD.  It's not the defacto distro,
and half the time you try running tasksel in the installation, it tries
to remove the kernel, leaving you with a kernelless system.  I also run
'apt-cache search speakup' in a cron job each night, get mailed the
results, and so far I see nothing but the Shane kernel mentioned so far.
According to the guys at freenode.net, Lenny will only have the 2.6.24
kernel, which will likely mean another search for  a modified,
non-standard install disk.  I won't even go into how old their gnome-orca
package is.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm running Debian and love it for
other reasons.  It still does little to support my needs as yet, so I
can't truthfully recommend it to blind novices until that support
exists in the stock distro.  Linux is difficult enough without  adding
blindness and a lack of real support on top of that.    If Lenny is
released with SspeakUP, then I'll recommend it ahead of every other
distro out there.

			Michael