sending mail with exim4

I got a much longer configuration dialog with readline and medium set in
debconf when doing a dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config.  One question that
wasn't asked though was the smtp address of my internet service provider
and with verizon.net and shellworld.net those names do not start with
smtp. as a prefix.