newsreading with debian lenny

Keith Barrett wrote:
> I have leafnode configured and it appears to go and collect a list of
> newsgroups from the isp.  However, running slrn gives the error
>
> connecting to debian.barrettpianos.co.uk runtime error failed to
> initialise server.

This was already addressed by two people, me and someone else. You need
to change the NNTPSERVER variable and /etc/nntpserver if it exists. With
leafnode, there might be another file to change, but rtin or tin -r
should still work provided you tell it to use localhost as server. As
always, read the leafnode docs. I personally think suck is better and a
lot easier, but to each his/her own. The advantage to leafnode is that
you get an actual news server to connect to.

If you're serious about news reading, you might want to look at
Supernews or Giganews. Your local ISP probably doesn't archive articles
very long and it's hopeless if you want binaries. Supernews is cheap and
offers text archives for years instead of a few months.