shell script request? possibly?

Regarding ip_deny perhaps what was meant was the
hosts.deny and hosts.allow files. These only relate to
tcpwrappers, the tcpd or inetd daemons which can
control port access. I personally think such "super"
daemons are dangerous and do not run them at all.
One process, inetd, or similar, has the ability to open
any or all ports, seems like a great possible target to
compromise a system.

Using hosts.deny is not equivalent to the iptables,
which will drop packets at the firewall, I think
Tyler's intention is a good one, better than deny
by the tcpwrapper process.