forcefsck question

Hi, I have read that as root you can touch /forcefsck to force fsck run
when your system reboots.  If I use this option does it run in it's most
strongest mode fixing all errors or is that just a check with no fixes?  I
had to use a rescue mode CD to run fsck on /dev/hda1 as my jurnal some how
got messed up and mount would not mount it, that is why I am asking this
question as if fsck runs first, I did not see any messages about it
running, I think it was in the initrd.  It was just after speakup started
talking, the system frose.  What is the best way to fix the jurnal with
out using another CD?