ubuntu ubiquity?

I have a rather current version of ubuntu off the daily builds and wasn't
able to find ubiquity listed among the known applications.  Also ubiquity
tends to be rather silent when run from over here, it might be a screen
for its announcement has to be written or there may be some other kind of
error I can't tell. If you want to test the speakup stuff in ubuntu's
kernel what needs to be entered on the boot: line to try to bring that up?
The install text wouldn't speak with or without ubiquity on over here.
Finally when ubuntu desktop starts up is the screen reader turned on by
default?  If so, that may be causing many problems.