Thanks to Kirk and Ralph

Well, Kirk you said the magic word "daemon".  I was thinking about the
problem today and thought that I hadn't invoked speechd-up with the -d
switch, instead I had done a --single-probe and when I did that things
began to work.  By the way I am using the 2.6.12 pre-compiled speakup
kernel off of people.debian.org.  echo works fine, the only problem is
that I have to re-initialize speechd-up when I switch back from Doubletalk
PC to sftsyn.  I'm writing a program that will allow me to do the whole
thing in a few keystrokes as well as initializing the software synthesizer
from an initialization script if I need to.  Ralph, I got your message but
haven't tried it yet.  Thanks.

      Jim Wantz
      WB0TFK
My apologies to everyone else on this list!