Speakup and Emacs-Speak

Folks, I'm interested in setting up Emacs-Speak on my Debian system.
I believe in the past there was some configuring that needed to be
done so Speakup and Emacs-Speak would play nice together. Is this
still the case and what synth software/hardware does Emacs-Speak use
by default?

tnx
Ps. If there's some info I can rtfm, please advise. tnx
Scott