VOIP and asterisk

Some folks were good enough to share some info on list about VOIP, but
what I am really interested in knowing is what hardware if any folks
have used with Asterisk, is it wise to look at external hardware vs
cards in the box, or any other bits I should know. Please write off list
if you wish to save on list traffic.
I'm looking into this as it seems for what I'm paying for regular
service, I could do better with VOIP perhaps.

tia
Scott