dvd with mplayer help needed

I've asked someone about this, but if anyone has any other comments,
suggestions etc. I'll gladdly take them.

I got myself a dvd burner, Plexstor. I got it at such a great deal I
couldn't pass it up. I'd like to be able to play dvd discs on it
especially those I have that has the audio described track.
I can mount the disc fine, but then I tried using mplayer such as
mplayer -vo null filename.vob and that crashed the box. Got some message
about bad sectors or something, but I couldn't tell as the box hung
nicely. The disc plays fine on a regular dvd machine.
Is there something else I need to do? Maybe your not to mount the thing
perhaps. I'd also like to make copies of dvd discs of course for my own
personal use. It seems a good idea when my seven- year-old occationally
has managed to mess one up, but luckily this isn't offten. Ay I know he
aut not be touching them, but well that's another topic.
Also I'd like to consolidate my music collection on to a dvd and suspect
its a matter of making an iso image and burning that to the dvd media.
So any thoughts on what to do in playing movie tracks etc. and is
cdrecord is good for this burining job is appreciated.

tia
Scott