Need help geeting a SATA drive accessible

Anyone here have experience getting Serial ATA (SATA) drives accessible?

I'm having trouble getting the SATA drive in my Dell Dimensions 8400
accessible using the 2.6.9 kernel.

Maybe there is something here who can help interpret boot messages or tell
me who to contact.  I'm pretty sure it's a hardware something Dell added to
BIOS since it "almost" works.

Many thanks