Your   "mystartup"  concept is fine. I mean, not only does it work but it's
not considered flakey or non-standard.

But there is a more elegant way to load a module. All you need to do is put
it in /etc/modules. If you cat /etc/modules it will tell you how.

I would have a "mystartup"  script like yours and implement it theway you
did it but not for loading a module. In mine, I configure iptables, for
example.  A line in it is:

iptables-restore /etc/firewall.rules